Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Recovery Bill of Rights


A Recovery Bill of Rights for Trauma Survivors

Thomas V. Maguire published a recovery bill of rights with the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare.  I thought I would pass it along in some installments.  Here is the first, I hope you find it useful. 

By virtue of your personal authority you have the right to…

                Manage your life according to your own values and judgment.

                Direct your recovery, answerable to no one for you goals or progress.

                Gather information to make intelligent decisions about your recovery.   

                Seek help from many sources, unhindered by demands for exclusivity.

                Decline help from anyone without having to justify the decision.

                Believe in your ability to heal and seek allies who share your faith.

                Trust allies in healing so far as one human can trust another.

                Be afraid and avoid what frightens you.

                Decide for yourself whether, when and where to confront fear.

                Learn by experimenting, that is, make mistakes.

Bill

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so awesome and helpful information. It hits every point of my life and helps me with my disorder. I am always a pleaser by nature and suffer from not meeting others expectations of me. Thank you so much for this Dr. Bill B.
Tim